Monday 14 September 2015

Trying at Cross Country


I felt like curling up into a ball like a snail into its shell and waiting, just waiting.  Trying to distract myself from the tight competition looming ahead, getting closer,and closer by the minute.  There’s no way around it.  I have to run my hardest and hope for the best.  


We had school cross country today.  I ran in the 10 year old girls race.  The writing you just read I wrote before the race.  This writing I wrote after the race, explaining how I finished.  


I turned around the bend and my ears were filled with sound,


“Mercy, Mercy, Mercy.”  

I had a surge of energy, and I lengthened my strides, trying to run like a cheetah.  As I saw the place where I would rest, I sprinted, knowing that Lola and Sophie both wanted to get there before I did.   I crossed the line and I couldn't hold back a smile.  

10 comments:

  1. Hi Mercy
    I enjoyed reading this. Your writing gives me an impression of your feelings. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Mercy,
    I enjoyed reading this. Your writing really had hooked me in. You have made me want to read more.
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is some amazing writing Mercy!
    I missed Cross Country (Sadly, well you know)
    Sukena told me she gave up, typical Sukena!
    I'm glad I didn't run.
    -Harmony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harmony,
      I don't think it's typical Sukena to give up, she just doesn't like cross country, like you.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mercy,
    Its Sukena, I really did not enjoy cross country because I felt like I was going to fall on the ground any moment. Your writing is descriptive and I really enjoyed reading it. Are you going to write about your Taranaki cross country?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sukena,
    I think it would be a good idea to write about the Taranaki cross country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mercy, I was so happy to see your blog. It showed up on my computer today. Since we moved to England crazy things have been happening on my computer, and this was the best thing ever. I enjoyed reading about your cross country race. I felt excitement and anticipation as I read it. You helped me learn more about you as well as about the effort it takes to be winner. Are you going to run more cross country races? I would love to hear about them. I hope you will continue to write on your blog even when the challenge is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grandma and Grandpa,
      Thank you for the comment. I did run in another race. I ran in the Taranaki Cross Country Champs. I think I got 61st. It was a good experience. Have a good time in England,
      Mercy

      Delete